“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” —Proverbs 22: 6
At St. Francis, we recognize that Christian formation begins with our youngest members and never really stops.
Youth: Christian Formation
Our children, from preschoolers through 12th grade, are engaged in our Sunday school program and our Youth Group.
Sunday School is held during the school year from 10:30am – 11:30am. The Sunday School offers an outstanding and varied program to meet the spiritual needs of all our children. Parents may feel to remain in St. Francis Hall for coffee and the adult forum while the children attend their Sunday School classes.
Students are taught in small groups:
- Preschool and elementary students will walk through each book of the Bible using LifeWay’s curriculum, Explore the Bible.
- Middle School and High School students study portions of the Bible as well as Christian books such as CS Lewis’ Mere Christianity
- We offer an annual Communion preparation class for children to prepare them for their first communion. This is usually done as part of the Sunday School program for 1st graders.
- For those wishing to be confirmed, we offer a Confirmation Class at least once a year. This is usually geared toward children around the age of 13, but is also appropriate for adults who are ready to be confirmed.
Highlights of the Sunday School year include our annual Christmas Pageant and our annual Evening of the Arts (Performed and presented by the children as the culmination of their Lenten project) and Youth Sunday.
Our Youth Group meets from 6:30pm to 8pm on Thursday evenings for snacks, fellowship, and conversation around the Bible. All middle and high school youth are welcome! Many of our youth bring friends to these meetings. The Youth Group also participates in many local service projects and goes on Mission Trips each summer.
Vacation Bible School
Though we do not have Sunday School during the summer months, we usually have a Vacation Bible School for school age children. This is a vibrant and fun time that includes things like rocket ships, slip and slides and even field trips. Our Youth Group help the Christian Education Director during VBS, which makes it especially fun for the children to get to play with the ‘big kids’.
Our goal at St. Francis is that our children graduate from the Sunday School program living a life intertwined with Christ as their Lord and Savior-knowing Him and His Love. As they live a life in his presence, they will have a passionate desire to walk in the good works that he has prepared for them to do. We work to help children see the picture of who God is through His word in the Old and New Testament. How he created them, reached out to them, and prepared the way through His death and resurrection to be restored to Him forever. As they know Him, they are compelled to live a life that is pleasing to Him by loving Him and their neighbor as He has loved them. We share with our children the gift of the scriptures and the beautiful treasure of the Anglican traditions that provide the scaffolding for knowledge and a faithful walk with Christ. We invite you to join us.
Adults: Christian Education
Several offerings such as Bible study, Sunday adult forums, prayer groups, book discussions, Theology on Tap gatherings, and parenting forums provide continued learning for adults at St. Francis. These thought-provoking offerings cover a wide range of topics including Christian literature and music, Scriptural texts, parenting, praying, past and present Christian leaders and current affairs.
- Sunday Adult Forums are held during the school year from 10:30am – 11:30am, and we offer coffee, tea and donuts.
- Bible Study is held Wednesdays at 11:00am, after our Holy Eucharist service.
- Monthly gatherings at a local pub offer stimulating discussion about Christian topics and current events.
- Weekly Prayer series provide direction and discussion on how to pray about specific topics and events.
- An Inquirer’s Class for those interested in becoming new members of Saint Francis or in refreshing their understanding of the core teachings of our faith is geared toward teenagers and adults.
Check our calendar for a current listing of these offerings.
Sunday School Teachers
As required by the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, D.C. (EDOW), all teachers and other staff attend the training in Safeguarding God’s Children.
Most teachers are parents of children in Sunday School who take a turn in teaching a class during the Sunday School Year which comes in three sessions: Fall, Winter, and Spring. We are always in need of more teachers; so please carefully consider if you can contribute in your child’s classroom. All training is free.
We strongly believe in also having the involvement of St. Francis adults who don’t have children at home. We need their presence to share with the children their wisdom, love for Jesus, and to demonstrate the baptismal commitment the greater body of St. Francis has made to their growth in Christ.